Position Reports To:Manager, Manufacturing Engineering
The Plastics Extrusion Engineer is responsible for providing technical leadership in the area of material selection & application, profile molding, and extrusion process development for the implementation of manufacturing equipment projects and assignments. The Plastics Extrusion Engineer will direct the collection of appropriate manufacturing data, will interpret the data and will use it to help guide process improvement efforts. While the Engineer will work with other engineers and technicians, he or she is expected to offer innovative solutions on their own.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The individual in this position must use initiative and judgment arranging job details to achieve predetermined objectives. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Effectively use lean/6-sigma principals to improve processes, reducing lead time and scrap.
- Develop new processes as required to support new product introduction.
- Own process control documentation such as standard operating procedures, bills of materials, specifications, and routings.
- Train staff at new/revised processes.
- Support the Engineering Manager, Value Stream Manager, and your team members.
- Contribute to the Daily Improvement meetings reviewing S,Q,D,C,G.
- Define and implement cost/waste reduction projects.
- Recommend and/or authorize improvements in machinery, equipment and manufacturing methods.
- Perform continuous improvement activities in the Extrusion Value Streams.
- Ensure plant and Corporate Policies are understood and followed.
- Develop and maintain safe work practices.
- Good interactive people skills with the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups, management and/or individuals.
- Ability to appraise a situation through data analysis and facilitate team to process improvements.
- Assist in troubleshooting extrusion, maintenance, and production equipment problems.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Entrepreneurial in their thinking.
- Experience in thick walled pipe production.
- Experience in multilayer extrusion processing.
- Knowledge of extruder screw design.
- Interest in further development of personal skills and knowledge.
- Interest in current technology and trends.duties as assigned by supervisor.
There are no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.High technical ability and analytical skills required.
- Understanding of the extrusion system from screw design to control techniques.
- Team player who supports both management and team members.
- Ability to operate within a multi-tasking dynamic team environment.
- Aptitude to learning new design tools to broaden experience.
- Ability to effectively present information and communicate at all levels.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Plastic Extrusion, Material Science, Chemistry or equivalent engineering discipline.
- 5-10 years as a Plastics Extrusion Engineer in a manufacturing environment.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of process capability and statistics. Examples include CPK, gauge R&R.
- Knowledge of analytical tools (DOE, FMEA), ability to understand interactions (cause and effects) between equipment/process/product and to draw sound conclusions from the data.
- Fully capable in use of electronic drawing and design tools such as AutoCAD and/or SolidWorks.
- Project Management experience preferred.
- Thermodynamics engineering aptitude necessary.
- Familiarity with Davis Standard Extruder desired.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Use eyesight for all aspects of the job.
- Perform sedentary work at a workstation.
- Perform testing and process development on the production floor.
- Operate computerized equipment and perform calculations.
- Perform legible written communication.
- Demonstrate upper body mobility to use the telephone, operate computer system and equipment on the production floor.
- Bend as necessary for sitting and using computers, telephone and equipment on the production floor.
- Lift 50 pounds unassisted
- Sitting, walking, climbing ladders and stairs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Mixed Office and Factory environment
- Sedentary Work: The ability to lift up to fifty pounds occasionally and up to five pounds frequently. Although a sedentary job is defined as one that involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties. Walking and standing are required very often.
DateMay 2, 2018
How to ApplyIn order to express interest in FlexSteel job opportunities, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. YOU MUST INCLUDE THE JOB TITLE YOU ARE APPLYING FOR IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL.
FlexSteel is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities to employees and applicants in accordance with all applicable laws. FlexSteel’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital or veterans status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. M/F/D/V.