Location: Baytown, Texas
Position Reports To: Engineering Manager
Provides technical support related to materials necessary to meet engineering needs. Ensures that projects meet specifications, standards and performance requirements within area of expertise.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The individual in this position must use initiative and judgment arranging job details to achieve predetermined objectives. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Full understanding of metallurgical manufacturing, forging and heat-treating processes. Basic knowledge of welding processes. Advanced knowledge of material properties and their application – Experience of materials selection for oilfield application preferred
- Knowledge of corrosion processes and materials selection for corrosive service
- Interfaces directly with the supplier’s technical representatives in the development and application of materials to verify the properties. Resolves material related problems which may develop during the processes employed by suppliers for material manufacture and during in-house manufacturing of pipe and related components.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures, industry standards or governmental regulations including NACE, API, ASTM and ASME Pressure Vessel Code.
- Prepare documents illustrating conformance of materials to technical procedures, industry standards or governmental regulations.
- Active participation on industry standard committees
- Attend and support trade shows, fellowships, conferences, exhibits, and seminars as requested.
- Writes consistent, clear documentation that presents complex information simply and accurately
- Works with others to develop documentation and communications
- Produces and/or approves technical manuals, procedural manuals, process specifications, brochures, etc. (hard copy and electronic) that conforms to company procedures and/or industry standards
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- High level of initiative
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Occasional travel to customers and suppliers
- Other duties as assigned by Engineering Manager or his/her designee
This position may be responsible for directing or coordinating the work activities of others. The following positions report directly to this position:
- Direct Reports - None, but may lead one or more professionals or technicians on a project basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Highly computer literate in Microsoft, graphical, and online products
- Ability to operate within a multi-tasking dynamic team environment.
- Ability to effectively present information and communicate at all levels.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
Education and/or Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in Materials Science, Materials Engineering or Metallurgical Engineering or related discipline plus 3 – 7 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with ISO, API, ASTM, and NACE standards applicable to materials used in the oil and gas industry is necessary.
- Experience in the use of metallurgical, metallographic, and mechanical laboratory test equipment highly desirable.
- Familiar with NDE methods and interpretation
- Familiarity with word processing, database, spreadsheet and presentation software.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Typical work environment may include any or all of the following:
- Typical office environment
- Activities that are outside and exposed to the elements (sun, wind, rain, etc.).
- Activities that involve high pressure equipment, moving machinery, excessive noise and working at elevations.
DateThursday, November 9, 2017
How to ApplyIn order to express interest in FlexSteel job opportunities, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. YOU MUST INCLUDE THE JOB TITLE YOU ARE APPLYING FOR IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL.
FlexSteel is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities to employees and applicants in accordance with all applicable laws. FlexSteel’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital or veterans status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. M/F/D/V.